Granita is a Pico-8 recreation of "Snoopy" for the Commodore 64 made for my partner's birthday in 2023.
The Commodore 64 original frequently shows up on Twitch channels that play TASes 24/7 and its goofy music, charmingly clunky gameplay, and catchy level names have turned the game into an inside joke for us.
So I did what anyone would and tried to accurately recreate the game in Pico-8.
- A new Sneasel protagonist
- All 20 levels from the original game including: "Lasers", "More Lasers", and "Beware Granita"
- A bug with either the hit detection or pit checking routine that means you sometimes die for jumping wrong! (I was on a deadline, sorry)
- Removal of the limited lives, instead replaced with a per-level count of how many tries it takes players to complete, with an overview and total presented upon completing the game. Go for a low score!
- Level select and debug codes (Down/Up 5x on title screen)
Note on the intended music: I did not have the time to try and convert the C64 music track to Pico-8 format, so the game has no music. However, for the full experience I did record the audio from the C64 game to play in the background. Go ahead and loop this if playing a non-web version.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.